shower pipes

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Nettlewarbler, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Nettlewarbler

Nettlewarbler New Member

hello all , my first questions for you . I want to remove the old bath , then put a small mixer shower in it's place . The bath tub pipework is connected to the combi boiler , would it be ok to use the same pipe fittings for the shower . And is it ok to use compression fittings to do the job with , they look quite easy to fit . thank you .
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's my understanding that typical compression fittings are not allowed in enclosed spaces, so no, you cannot use them. Hidden behind the wall for possibly decades, a good solder joint is hard to beat. An approved alternative is a slip-on fitting called a Sharkbite. Google them, and see.
  3. Nettlewarbler

Nettlewarbler New Member

I have read somewhere that you need a Non Return Valve , if the shower is to be connected to the mains water pipe . Do i need one ? . Also do i need any waterproof material under the tiles , if yes what ?
  4. Nettlewarbler

Nettlewarbler New Member

I was thinking of making the shower concealed , but the wall i was going to put the pipework , shower valve etc in . is only about 75mm thick . it's a single breeze block , so it should'nt take no time to gouge out for the pipework . What's worrying me is the Mixer Valve may be too thick for the wall . and do you have to leave somewhere ( hatch ) maybe to be able to get at the Valve etc if something goes wrong . ? please advice . thank you .
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A handheld shower requires a vacuum breaker to prevent it from sucking up polluted water if it is left hanging into standing water and there's a hiccup in the supply pressure. Other than that, no special requirements. In the USA, they require an anti-scald valve when it controls a shower. That may not be common where you are. That type of valve prevents radical temperature changes if the pressure changes in one supply (such as may happen when someone flushes a toilet or turns on a large flow in say the cold).

The wet wall (where the shower head and valves are) in my shower backed up against a pocket door, and access would not be easy if maintenance was required at the back. I chose to use an external mount control valve. I think I heard they stopped making this model, or at least stopped importing it into the USA. They made a shower only version as well.

Attached Files:

6. Nettlewarbler

Nettlewarbler New Member

I might just get a fancy shower and install that instead of trying to hide the pipes . thanks anyway .
  7. Nettlewarbler

Nettlewarbler New Member

I was going to put a Non Return Valve ( Check Valve ) at the other end of the shower enclosure , so if i need to get at it for any reason it should be easy to get at , just lift a few floorboards . Is it better to put a Valve on each pipe Hot and Cold . thank you .