Shower Faucet Dripping Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

greggor36

Reaction score
Hello -
I have a single handle shower faucet that will drip continuously after using. Eventually it will stop if I hold the stopper up for a little bit or jamb a paper towel up in the faucet for a little while. It’s getting to be annoying though having to go through this regime every time the faucet is run. I have changed the cartridge twice as well as the rubber washers on the cartridge but it doesn’t seem to have any effect. I had a plumber in to take a look at it and his response was…”Every brand of cartridge is junk. You’re basically stuck with this problem.”

I refuse to accept that this is all I can do. My house/faucet is 17 years old and I realize things fail but is there anything I can do to fix this dripping faucet? I welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Since the drip stops eventually, the problem is not the cartridge.

images
I think you are talking about a diverter spout. You might consider replacing the spout. The Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter is really nice in that it does not leak so much during the shower. It does not have a pull-up knob, but instead a pull-down ring on the output. So new users may need some instruction on starting the shower. I am hoping that it drains more readily than what you have.

The old one could be screw on, as in the picture, or it could have a set screw accessible from beneath next to the wall.

Now will this diverter improve things? While I suspect it would, I am not speaking from experience.

greggor36

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you! I believe that will fix my issue! I can't thank you enough! Much appreciated! I'll purchase it today! Thanks again!

Since the drip stops eventually, the problem is not the cartridge.

images
I think you are talking about a diverter spout. You might consider replacing the spout. The Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter is really nice in that it does not leak so much during the shower. It does not have a pull-up knob, but instead a pull-down ring on the output. So new users may need some instruction on starting the shower. I am hoping that it drains more readily than what you have.

The old one could be screw on, as in the picture, or it could have a set screw accessible from beneath next to the wall.

Now will this diverter improve things? While I suspect it would, I am not speaking from experience.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your problem is water that is retained in the valve and shower riser when the valve is turned off. It is draining down and coming out of the spout. When you stuff paper in it, you absorb the water so it does not leak. It has NOTHING to do with the diverter spout or the faucet, and it would do the same thing if you took the spout off. Try removing the shower head to see if it drains down faster.

greggor36

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll give it a try and see if that helps. What puzzles me is it drips even when I use it just for bath water. I haven't used the shower in months, just baths. I'll try what you suggested though! Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Your problem is water that is retained in the valve and shower riser when the valve is turned off. It is draining down and coming out of the spout. When you stuff paper in it, you absorb the water so it does not leak. It has NOTHING to do with the diverter spout or the faucet, and it would do the same thing if you took the spout off. Try removing the shower head to see if it drains down faster.

How far in do you think he is sticking that paper?
;)

If greggor36 has a shower arm mounted handheld shower, I was wondering if that could be supplying water for a long time.

3093291.JPG

However I am thinking that then inserting a paper towel into the spout for a bit would not make the dripping stop for long.

Greggor36, note that HJ is usually right. Even if it does not turn out to stop the post-shower dripping, that spout reduces the dripping that occurs with most spouts during the shower.

A workaround is to put a mesh scrubbing pad under the drip to quiet it. There will always be some dripping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It takes on average 35 minutes for the drip to stop. We get these questions and hj is right. It's just water in the pipes slowly making it's way down.
You have to be patient.

If you hold your thumb on top of a straw, it will hold water. Release the thumb and it starts to drain. When we do a shutdown of a home, we open all the faucets to quicken the shutdown. Any faucet left off will hold water for a longer time in the lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks