Shower drain on basement remodel

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by PattiS, Nov 26, 2013.

1. PattiS

PattiS New Member

I am new to the forum but have found lots of good stuff here. Now I need help for my unique situation. I removed the mortar shower pan and plan on replacing it with a mortar and tile one. The plumbing is an issue. It is a pipe with a flange welded on it. I was hoping to just float the mortar pan around it but I assume I will need a liner. My question is do I need to redo the piping to install a three piece drain (which will mean knocking out some of the slab) or is there a way to seal the pan around the pipe so I don't have bigger problems later with the slab? Here are a few pictures of the situation:

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Normally we would knock out some of the slab, and install a new clamping shower drain.
    Not a big deal to do that.
    I suppose you could also find something for that top of that and screw that down with Silicone. If it's mine though, I'm thinking total replacement. Everything builds off of that.
  3. PattiS

PattiS New Member

Thanks, Terry. I was hoping not to cut into the slab, I don't feel that confident in my ability to do that. I may need to hire someone.
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Post(s) removed by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  5. PattiS

PattiS New Member

There wasn't anything other than what you see when I took the shower pan out around it other than the strainer on top. There are no bolts or bolt holes and the collar is welded to the pipe.
  6. johnfrwhipple

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can tap out the concrete with a sledge hammer.
    There will be room to throw a coupling on. If not, it's not a big deal to change out the p-trap at the same time.
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Nobody "welds" a drain into a pipe. It might be poured lead, but the drain is not welded to the pipe.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Drains with that type of top usually DO have a clamping ring, but it may be just under the concrete/mortar cap.
  10. johnfrwhipple