shower diverter/handle problem

Users who are viewing this thread

joe71nj

Reaction score
Hi. I just recently finished doing a tile job for a friend... and when we went to install the handle and face plate, we found that the person who installed the diverter put it too far back and the handle is now just clearing the faceplate. There's wood blocking in the wall so there's no way to pull the diverter farther out at all...and there's no access from the other side of the wall. Does anyone know of any way to extend the handle out at all? It's a Delta single lever shower diverter. I called Delta, but they had no extension kit available, unfortunately. Does anyone know of an aftermarket company that might have one or have any other ideas? or is he gonna have to live with it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you know a machinist, and have lots of money, anything is possible! Other than that, the odds of finding an extension that works on that as slim to non-existent. This is one reason why I always like to mock up the install...all that the min/max markings for installation will tell you is whether the parts will fit, not how they look or function. If you're willing to open up the wall from behind, you could move it forward from there, otherwise, it's live with it or tear out some tile and start over.

joe71nj

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. During my online search, I saw there was a company (Danze) that made an extension for their brand of shower diverter... a deep wall extension that would bring it out 1 1/4". When I saw that, I was hoping Delta would have one too...or an aftermarket company would have them. Both turned out to be dead ends, unfortunately. I guess my buddy is stuck with it the way it is. It's an unfortunate way to end a long and expensive basement renovation. Anyway... I do appreciate the feedback. I will pass the info on to him. Thank you..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks