shower and toilet causes pipe rattle

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by strainsa, Sep 8, 2005.

1. strainsa

strainsa New Member

I live in a 9 year old house. It has a secondary water heater in the attic servicing 2 bathrooms (3 sinks, 2 toilets, 1 shower, 1 tub). When the shower is turned on first thing in the morning and one of the two toilets is flushed, when the toilet completes its fillup (shuts off), the pipes in the wall rattle
    until a sink or the shower water is cycled (on/off). I have taken out the shower faucet cartridge assembly (single handle delta unit) and it rattles when shaken. The toilets have replacement works in the tank (not the older hissing shutoff valves). Any idea what might be causing this or what to look for?
  2. If any shut off valves have been recently turned off/on in the home this might be a place to start looking for. Or, dirt could of went to one of those fill valves in the toilet, possibly causing the vibration. Check to see if you have high pressure also. All plumbing fixtures, faucets, valve are engineered for 60 as a norm.
  3. Kristi

Kristi Tradesman Plumber

you could also try throttling your shutoff valve for the toilet back a bit... could soften the blow of the tank filler shutting off once it's filled.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Korky Quietfill valve shuts off smoother than some of the others.
    They will fit in most toilets that come with ballcocks or Fluidmasters.