Should I reuse my old Moentrol valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

zeek

Reaction score
I'm re-doing my bathtub and since Moentrol is lifetime warranty I was planning on only replacing the faucet trim. The valve doesn't leak and feels smooth and solid. I would guess the valve is from the 70s or 80s.

What kind of lifetime should be expected out of a Moentrol valve body? I can get to the backside of the valve pretty easy so if I did need to swap it out it could be done without needing to remove tile (although prob a PITA).

moentrol-in-wall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only moving parts are the balancer and the cartridge.
Nothing has changed over the years on those.

index.php

1 Check Stops Spring-driven gaskets at the valve inlets prevent high-pressure hot water from crossing the valve into a cold supply line or vice versa. (Hot water is at higher pressure in recirculation systems.) Screws in the stops shut off hot and cold lines at the shower for work on the valve cartridge.

2 Pressure-Balancing Spool Hot and cold streams slide a graphite-composite piston in response to fluctuating hot and cold water pressure. In 0.1 seconds, the piston (inside the chrome sleeve) seals or opens inlets to maintain balanced pressure between the two flows, which are still unmixed. Lab tests to monitor internal movement show the piston constantly vibrating back and forth.

3 Cartridge Pulling the shower handle slides the cartridge forward, opening two inlets to let hot and cold water enter and converge. Turning the handle opens one inlet as it closes the other, allowing users to adjust the temperature.

4 Temperature Limit Stop Screwed into the cartridge's rod, this stop prevents a child from fully opening the valve to a scalding-hot setting

Last edited:

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Moentrol is one of the best repairable tub/shower faucet on the market..

moentrol-exploded.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks