Should I repair or replace water heaters?

Users who are viewing this thread

MEYLIN

Reaction score
I have two State water heaters that are 14 years old. Water temperature is now warm rather than hot. I replaced expansion tank a year ago. Should we repair or replace water heaters?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Gas or electric? Usually, I only recommend replacing when they start to leak. Your FIRST task is to find out why the water is only warm, otherwise, you may replace the heaters and find out you STILL have the same problem if it is functional problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My last State gas water heater lasted for 10 years before springing a leak. I would have liked to cut it open to see the innards as I suspect it had quite a build-up inside. The installer that took it out said it weighed a lot more than when it was new.

I would not repair a 14 year old gas heater, figuring that the build-up inside would significantly reduce efficiency and capacity.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the USA, (nearly) all residential WH are now required to have protection from igniting vapors from volatile liquids that may be in the area. These have been problematic for some companies. They also generally mean that a new WH of the same volume will likely be taller, since the burner design is different to prevent that ignition. I'd look at Rheem or Bradford White. Some of their models qualify for Energy Star efficiencies, and may get you a rebate from your local utility company - well worth asking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the Rheem and Bradford White water heaters for replacement.
14 years is pretty old for a gas water heater. So old, that they may not deserve a service call.

Warm not hot?
Have you checked the thermostat settings?
Also, if you have been having plastic particles clogging faucet aerators, you could have bad dip tubes.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
About the only think worth repairing on heaters this old would be the dip tubes. There was a big bunch of defective tubes made by one manufacturer that supplied several brands of heaters several years ago. Your heaters may be from that time period. At any rate, dip tubes are easy to check and easy to replace if they are broken. Just remove the nipple on the intake side of the heater and pull the tube out. They should go nearly to the bottom of the tank. They are just a flanged plastic tube that hang in the hole under the nipple. Turn the water supply off first. LOL

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
How are the wtr/htrs plumbed ?
It is possible that one of them is not firing while the other one is heating the water but it mix's coming out of heaters giving you warm water !
Then trouble shoot the one not working and repair as needed

MEYLIN

Reaction score
The problem was solved with a new thermocouple. Enjoying hot showers again! Appreciate everyone's comments.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks