Should I Rebuild or Replace My Old Moen Shower Valve with Parts from the New Kit?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jeff S, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Jeff S

Jeff S New Member

I am remodeling a bathroom and have everything torn down to the studs. I removed the old Moen hardware and bought a new tub/shower kit to replace the old hardware. The new kit also came with the mixing valve. Both the new and old valves are the Posi-temp style. My question... The old valve is about 12 years old and is working fine, is it worth rebuilding or replacing that valve with the parts from the new kit while I have an open working space?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The valve body its self is "dumb". It doesn't know what parts you are putting into it, so you can use the new parts as long as they fit.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I pull the cartridge when I solder. You can use the new cartridge in the old brass, or not :) Your choice.
  4. Jeff S

Jeff S New Member

Sounds great, thanks for the response!