Shallow well pump not building pressure past 30 lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Cutlass72

Reaction score
I just replace my shallow well pump at our cabin to fix a problem, but the issue remains with the new pump. Here’s the problem; the pump works fine, kicks in at 30 lbs, cuts out at 50 lbs (pressure switch is 30 - 50). But, if the pump sits without running for about 4 or more hours when it kicks in at 30 lbs it'll run without building pressure past 30 lb. If I turn the pump off, then back on, the pressure builds fine. The pump will continue to work properly until it sits idle again for an extended time. I’m out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are losing prime while it sits idle. If you use a foot valve before the pump and have no check valve after the pump, the water from the pressure tank will keep the pump primed during idle times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks