Sewer leak in slab into my air ducts

Users who are viewing this thread

wrmeek

Reaction score
I have been dealing with an odor problem for awhile but recently discovered a leak into my air ducts under my ktchen slab! I had a plummer run camera into duct and discovered standing water and bubbling water when kitchen sink was running. I have a newly licensed plummer in our church and would like to do demo my self with him and need suggestions on what equipment to use and best way to fix air duct leak and pipe. Not sure what type of pipe it is but cold weather is here and wife getting irreatible:( . Im a pretty good DYI guy but need input. We located the approx location of leak do to length of line used with camera.
Thanks
wrmeek

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
This is a fairly common problem with houses designed this way. I am doing the same repair in a couple of weeks for 1 of my customers. The problem you may find is that the duct may be rusted away to nothing. Repairing the pipe should be fairly easy.

You will need a jackhammer for the floor and then some PVC and a couple of banded couplings unless the leak is at a fitting. You really won't know what you need exactly until you get to the problem and see the extent of it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The location of the leak into the duct may have little bearing on where the pipe is broken. Water can flow a long ways until it finds a weak spot to enter your ducting.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cass.... not only a jack hammer... When cutting into a slab I usually use a concrete saw to cut at least 1" into the slab (or all the way thru it) to keep from busting up the whole thing and having major cracks running out. I made the mistake of using only a jack hammer one time. I've used the sawing technique several times with exceptionally neat results, nice straight lines and somewhat easy repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks