Screw head in hot water supply ??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kstuart, Oct 12, 2011.

1. kstuart

kstuart New Member

I can't figure this one out, so I am hoping that someone has an idea...

Today, I turned the kitchen faucet to hot, and the flow slowed to a trickle.

There was plenty of hot water at all other faucets, and no leak below the sink or under the house, so I removed the hot water supply to the faucet, and it also had virtually no flow even without the faucet at all.

So, I removed the SS supply hose from the valve, and a small screw head popped out of the space where the hose connects to the valve !

I hooked everything up again and it was now back to normal.

So, where could a screw head come from - inside the hot water system ??

Thanks !
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

A retaining screw for a valve washer.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Lots of possibilities and eventually something will happen and you will find where it came from.
  4. kstuart

kstuart New Member

This reminded me that the hot water heater was replaced several years ago, and the plumber also replaced an even older hot water valve at the time.

So you are probably right.

Over the winter, we were gone for a while and had the house winterized by a plumber who blew compressed air through the lines, and I'll bet that the screw which had sat around for years, was blown close to the faucet at that time.

Now it makes sense, thanks !
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Tell him to blow OUT of the house next time.