Sand in well

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Kaz

Reaction score
Have a 2" well at about 100 ft that was put in during 1980 and it was cut at the top below the surface. This is in a cottage that doesn't get used very often and there is no pre-filter. During the fall our water softener started having issues and we lost pressure to the house unless we used the by-pass valve. When using the by-pass, we notice a bit of sand in the water, when running the tub water. Didnt think to much of it until i replace the softener spaces and washers thinking that would fix it. It didn't so we were gonna replace the resin and also put in a Rusco spin down sediment filter. This one has the 250 micron filter. Well, looks like we do have an issue as the filter got clogged up and we lost pressure after about a minute of running the bath tube water. Water seem to flow real good, but... We called the well place and they are gonna come out and look, but they didn't sound to positive. I guess i have in mind that we're going to have to replace the well. I know the well guys will give us the detail when they come out, but does anyone have any feedback on having sand in the well? Especially that much??? Can we run it for awhile to see if that clears it up or is our fate a new well???

Thanks in advance

Reach4

Reaction score
Lakos Sandmaster might be good. http://www.lakos.com/groundwater.htm I have no relevant experience.

Maybe a 1.5 inch TwistIIClean would be good, but if your 250 micron Rusco clogged up in minutes, I guess you might need something more.

Can we run it for awhile to see if that clears it up or is our fate a new well???
Yes. Run it. Maybe connect a hose to the drain at the bottom of the pressure tank, and go full blast. Pay attention and shut things down if you run out of water. Or run for 10 minutes every hour for a while.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're going to eat up the nozzle and jet along with the pump in no time if you have that much sand

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks