Same tank for Soda ash/Chlorine

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gray

Reaction score
Info some found in this post:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/this-cant-be-good-water-softener.64305/#post-476274

... could that bleach be added to the soda ash tank sharing the same injection pump?
Quote edited by me, edited by omitting of beginning text only. Full quote can be found in original thread.

Reply to question:

... Yes it can, no it shouldn't.
Get a second pump, this will allow for a much better control of both chemical injection systems. A lot of minor problems occur when mixing the 2. The ppm of chlorine injection is much lower than the soda ash, and sludge is common when mixing the two.
Quote edited by me, edited by omitting of beginning text only. Full quote can be found in original thread.

Could there be any further explanation on what minor problems occur, and what causes the "sludge"?

I trust and believe that mixing the two may not be the best option, just wondering why? At work we regularly cut out process steps by combining chemicals in a single step addition and just re-formulate to achieve proper ratios. Again, if the information already exists that in this application it is not a good option I believe it, just wondering if there can be more explanation why?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done it before. Adding soda ash to chlorine is NOT a good idea. The soda ash tends to turn hard if not constantly stirred. Even alone it will turn hard if not stirred. They makes devises used to constantly stir the solution. I would advise getting a pH neutralizer instead of using the soda ash.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks