Users who are viewing this thread

CocoaWalker

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for some suggestions to adjust the low pH of our well water. We have a shallow dug well. The water tests in the past 4 years showed that we have very soft water (<=1 grain per gallon) with low pH (5.7-6.5), fluctuated iron level ( <0.1 - 2.5 ppm), and slightly elevated manganese (0.05 - 0.1 ppm). Our plan is to neutralize the pH first and then add a iron/manganese filter.

We are pretty much set with the option for iron/manganese removal, but can't decide if we should choose a pH neutralizer or soda ash system to adjust the acid water. We lean to a soda ash system because we have a septic system and we would like to avoid a water softener (and a dug well) if we can. But we consulted 4 local water treatment companies but they all frown up on soda ash systems because it requires much more maintenance - they said they don't get any happy customers with that, which made us concerned. We don't mind doing the maintenance ourselves but we would like to know more what and how much work involved from the real-word experience. So here are some of my questions:

1. If you own a soda ash system, can you provide some insights on the system? Are you happy with it? Does it REALLY require a lot of work that you wish you chose pH neutralizer? Are you able to get a relatively stable pH with the system?
2. What is the brand and model of your soda ash system? We are considering a proportional-feed injection system (like this) so we can get a stable pH. We would like to avoid low-quality products so we are open to any systems you recommend.
3. If we choose a pH neutralizer without installing a water softener, will the added hardness from the neutralizer cause any problems with scaling or damage to plumbing and appliances? Can we directly discharge the backwash of the neutralizer to outside? Our state does not prohibit it but we are a bit concerned if it will damage our landscape, environment and our water source.

We appreciate any thoughts and suggestions! Thank you!

sim510

Reaction score
Did you decide on a system? I'm low ph as well and have the same concerns as you. Trying to decide between the soda ash injection vs calcite acid neutralizer. I've read the same that injection system is high maintenance and many switch to the calcite system but not sure if that's true

remodelingmomma

Reaction score
We are also in the same situation (soft water - less than 1 grain) with low pH (between 6 - 6.5) on well water. Exposed pipes during remodel showed some damage from the acidity so we want to correct it before it damages our new pipes and plumbing finishes. Did you make a decision?

Mswlogo

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for some suggestions to adjust the low pH of our well water. We have a shallow dug well. The water tests in the past 4 years showed that we have very soft water (<=1 grain per gallon) with low pH (5.7-6.5), fluctuated iron level ( <0.1 - 2.5 ppm), and slightly elevated manganese (0.05 - 0.1 ppm). Our plan is to neutralize the pH first and then add a iron/manganese filter.

We are pretty much set with the option for iron/manganese removal, but can't decide if we should choose a pH neutralizer or soda ash system to adjust the acid water. We lean to a soda ash system because we have a septic system and we would like to avoid a water softener (and a dug well) if we can. But we consulted 4 local water treatment companies but they all frown up on soda ash systems because it requires much more maintenance - they said they don't get any happy customers with that, which made us concerned. We don't mind doing the maintenance ourselves but we would like to know more what and how much work involved from the real-word experience. So here are some of my questions:

1. If you own a soda ash system, can you provide some insights on the system? Are you happy with it? Does it REALLY require a lot of work that you wish you chose pH neutralizer? Are you able to get a relatively stable pH with the system?
2. What is the brand and model of your soda ash system? We are considering a proportional-feed injection system (like this) so we can get a stable pH. We would like to avoid low-quality products so we are open to any systems you recommend.
3. If we choose a pH neutralizer without installing a water softener, will the added hardness from the neutralizer cause any problems with scaling or damage to plumbing and appliances? Can we directly discharge the backwash of the neutralizer to outside? Our state does not prohibit it but we are a bit concerned if it will damage our landscape, environment and our water source.

We appreciate any thoughts and suggestions! Thank you!
I have a pH of 7.0 and Filox removes all the Iron (but not the Manganese). So I suspect Calcite might work for you since your Manganese is pretty darn low. And your pH is in a good range for Calcite.

I have 0.2-0.4 of Manganese and wondering if Calcite could bring the pH up to 7.4 pH-ish and get the Filox to work just enough better to remove that little bit of Manganese.

I'm trying to avoid Chlorine or Soda Ash. I want low maintenance and low monitoring and low risk of screw up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks