Same model, different flush quality

Users who are viewing this thread

PuyallupBob

Reaction score
My wife and I recently moved into our new construction house. As we are on a septic system, we especially wanted efficient toilets. The front bath has a Kohler that was selected more for style but has worked well on a 1.6 gallon flush. The master originally had a Caroma Sydney Smart. It rarely flushed properly and occasionally the water level would not come back up about the level of the trap, thereby allowing sewer gases to vent into the house. We decided to replace it with a Toto Aquia, in part because we like the way it is skirted. Much easier for keeping the exterior clean as we age. The company our plumber purchases from provided a standard height, dual flush, two piece Aquia. It flushed great. Even the small flush would take care of moderate solids. Problem is, we had asked for the ADA/comfort/whatever you want to call it seat height. After too much waiting and finally going up the management chain, the supplier replaced the toilet with the Aquia version we wanted. Instead of a two piece, this is a one piece dual flush. This toilet does not flush nearly as well as the "mistake" one. Any ideas as to why? Are there any adjustments to be made in the tank?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the trap way on the one piece and of the two piece or similar. You might check the adjustments in the tank. my experience with those models is that they are very similar. By the way we sometimes install in Puyallup

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, the water level is adjusted properly at the factory, but it could be a little lower on the new one. Also, the pushbuttons may not be adjusted to give the full stroke. FWIW, on a two-piece verses a one-piece, the tank sits a little bit higher, and water falling from a (very slightly) higher height can sometimes make a little difference...it's very slight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks