Roughing in kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And that would work on your kitchen sink. The picture is from a double lav setup, but it shows the proper fixture cross, minus the cleanout that would be expected on a kitchen.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
For the record I'm pretty sure that is Terry's work, he has a bunch of really good illustrative pictures on here.

Nah! That's from the development near my home. I took some pictures there.
That picture above works, though looking at the floor below, I would have done something a bit different.
It works as an example though of things that can be done.
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

runswithscissors

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are terrific !!!! And burnin' the midnight oil like me...yikes!!!!!

Although having two trap arms may be overkill...I would hope that you would agree with my previous "reasoning" - coupled with all the "dangling" hoses of the new single handle spray faucet we are going to get, I want to keep as much stuff to the sides as possible....and be able to access the main hose to keep it from getting stuck on things. I will also be plumbing the water lines outbound of that stud bay....to keep them far to the sides for the same reason...10 or so inches on either side of the sink center line.

What do you guys think....am I nuts...?? Or am I on to something that ought to be standard because of all the popular kitchen stuff....deep sink bowls and bowls at different depths, garbage disposers almost a guaranteed, and the single handle spray faucet with its' hose and weight....

I will be using 1 1/2 for the vent up the to the 42" Tom Sawyer mentioned and the over to the right to the stud bay past the window and then up and thru the roof.

Could you please clarify that the 42" Tom Sawyer mentioned is an O.C. measurement....thanks. If it does have to go up that full distance, I'm gonna be boring thu a few 3" nails that hold the window sill plate.....

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
That would be from the floor, or 6" above the flood level of the sink. In your case the give or take an inch to make it work with the sill plate, get yourself a "cat's paw" and pull the nails first so you don't ruin you're hole-saw.

runswithscissors

Reaction score
Is that to the center of the pipe ?? If so I'm really close...might hit nails....I have a cat's paw...but window is in...

Also, Terry suggested that I use a Fernco Hub donut...see pic in previous post....but the only one I could find withing 100 miles was this style...and it doesn't have the inner or outer rings...Will I be ok using it??
Fernco-PQB-32-rw-249077-351686.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That last photo...is obviously a double lav sink, and since the drain is way over to the left, the trap arm from the right hand sink probably would have been too long to pass code.
If you are using a pull-out faucet, that hose WILL find a way to snag on the disposer, the bottle of bleach, etc. THAT is Murphy's law!

To see the discrete difference between a double san tee and a double fixture fitting, look at this catalog:
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/DimensionalCatalogs/Plastic_Pipe_Fittings_DC-DWV%28609%29.pdf
search for items 428, and 500 ( pages 36 and 40)

I would like input from a carpenter about your theory on drilling those 2x6. ????

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
That last photo...is obviously a double lav sink, and since the drain is way over to the left, the trap arm from the right hand sink probably would have been too long to pass code.
If you are using a pull-out faucet, that hose WILL find a way to snag on the disposer, the bottle of bleach, etc. THAT is Murphy's law!

To see the discrete difference between a double san tee and a double fixture fitting, look at this catalog:
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/DimensionalCatalogs/Plastic_Pipe_Fittings_DC-DWV%28609%29.pdf
search for items 428, and 500 ( pages 36 and 40)

I would like input from a carpenter about your theory on drilling those 2x6. ????

The lavatory on the left and right looks like it's within the developed lenght to me,if the studs are 16" on center.

To give a wall stenght you can screw and glue 1/2" plywood onto that wall instead of drywall behind the cabinets. Works very well.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The lavatory on the left and right looks like it's within the developed lenght to me,if the studs are 16" on center.

To give a wall stenght you can screw and glue 1/2" plywood onto that wall instead of drywall behind the cabinets. Works very well.

My point was that if they went with a single trap, the tee would likely be located way over to the left where the main is. SO the pipe coming over from the right sink would be long. Since that is not actually the trap waste arm, I don't know if they would call a foul on that pipe!

runswithscissors

Reaction score
Thanks for the input....the photo is NOT what I am doing. I posted it to show the layout in general. If you were to imagine bringing both arms to INSIDE the bay where the double fixture fitting will be centered...and have each arm stub out touching the studs to the right and to the left....THAT is what I am proposing to do. The vent will go straight up to the 42" and turn right about 30" and then up and out the roof. The 2" waste drain will go left...as in the picture...but will go farther to a 3" CI sewer pipe. Hope that clears that up.

Thanks for the "plywood and glue" tip....as the holes will be on the exterior....I'll do it there with sheathing.

Can anyone answer my questions from a couple posts up....regarding the "on center" from the floor....and whether that donut would be ok to use...thanks !!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks