Rough plumbing water closet comments requested

Users who are viewing this thread

dukes

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I am starting the rough plumbing for the bathroom in our new addition. I thought it would be simple to just copy what was done in the other 2 baths of the original house. We built the house 11 years ago and used a professional plumber to do the work. He is not available now, and since I have done several ambitious projects myself, I thought I would do the plumbing this time. Attached is an accurate drawing of the water closets we have in the original house. I have had one plumber comment that it is not a good example. OK what is wrong with it, and what should be done? It seems all book examples I have found are for 2 story houses, or houses with basements where grade is not a problem. Your comments appreciated, Bill (Dukes)

Attachments

• plumb00.jpg
    plumb00.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3,500

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The vent for the toilet, use 2" 45's instead of 90's. You are creating a flat vent the way you have it.......and most areas that isn't code.

The reason they want 45's is if that toilet ever clogs....toilet paper/crap will sit on that horizontal spot where those two 90's connect.......possibly sealing off the vent since there is nothing to wash it out once the clog is removed.

45's allows gravity to do its job and remove the buildup. This rule follows anything under 42", anything above that number puts it over the flood level rim of most if not all fixtures to which they overflow.

Come out of that low heel with a street 45 and roll it up with a regular 45.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You have 270 degrees of turns there where a single 90 would do. Put the long sweep 90 under the toilet, with a 3x2 Y on top of it, then run the 2" back to the wall with a 45 on top to go vertical.

dukes

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, Is this changed sketch what you had in mind? I had to add a 1/8 in the vent line to stay in my envelope which is 8 inches below the I joist.
I will change the 13 inch to 12 inch also. I knew better. I don't understand the 2 pipe diameter rule minimum for placing the vent after the waste line. Does this meet that? Thanks, Bill (Dukes)

Attachments

• plumb04.jpg
    plumb04.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,779

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
Not good on the vent.
Don't turn the vent horizontal (less than 45) untill 6 inches above the flood leval rim of the toilet. look at the far wall if it's less than 6' away, you may be able to turn it under the closet flange toward that wall, and put a san-T on it's back to send the vent up the wall.

12" min from back wall (finishedwall) 15" min from side wall.... but the side to side will be more comfortable if you have the room for at least 18 (3' wall to wall.... but your real problem is that every job is diffrent... you can't always just copy what someone else did. simple rules. (for my state)

Tie the vent in withing 6 foot of the closet flange

Don't run more than 135 d before vent.

The less turns the better.

Horizontal to Horizontal, and Vertical to Horizontal use long turn 90's. horizontal to vertical can use med turns.

Make a plan and pay a plumber you trust a service call (1 hour) to reveiw your plans and give a pro opinion.

Good Pics!!!!

good luck with your project

dances-with-pumps

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
In Illinois, that 3x2 wye could be a tee. Come out of the tee with a travel piece then use a long sweep 90 to turn up into the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Our inspectors would pass it, and I always install the opening at 13". Eliminates problems when the carpenters move a wall or the owner decides he likes 1" tile on the walls.

dukes

Reaction score
OK, I need a reality reset. Does everyone agree that a vent angle must never be less than 45 degrees from horizontal until it has risen 6 inches above the appliance overflow? If that is the case it looks impossible to put the vent in the wall behind the toilet. There has to be millions of single story homes, with 18 inch crawl spaces, with the toilet backed up to the wall. What I don't understand is why there isn't a universal solution to this particular case. I appreciate all the comments. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Thanks, Bill (Dukes)

Prashster

Reaction score
I'm no pro, but in the code reading I've done, there are exceptions for how a toilet can be drained/vented (s traps, upstream venting, closet bends) because of practical considerations. I thought flat venting was one of those exceptions.

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
dukes said:
Does everyone agree that a vent angle must never be less than 45 degrees from horizontal until it has risen 6 inches above the appliance overflow?
No we're not. You will find that each state is dif, each inspector may let things slide. Your drawings wouldn't pass in Oregon. What your doing would work... but may not pass in your state. Check with local plumbers.:eek:

w/c.............vent
----
|
|
L____________I_____

If possable you may want to try something like the above.
I realize my drawings arn't as good as yours but you get the Idea.

Good luck

Dances-with-pumps

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vents can run "flat," well actually with pitch. It just has to come off the main above the center of the drain line. When it is under the flood rim, or under grade, sweeping fittings are supposed to be used. When the vent is a continuation of the drain line, like most non-island kitchen sink drains, it can't go horizontal till 6" above the flood rim. Vents can't be manifolded together till 6" above the floodrim.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack this thread... I have a question here. Nearby inspectors are notoriously tough with rules many find totally ridiculous. For the most part 90's are not allowed in sewer lines, 45's are not allowed closer than 16", sanitary tees are not allowed to be installed on their backs (not even in vents???), bends going down to a sewer line must be less than 60 degrees.... any comments or explanation of these rules? When I questioned the inspectors they could only tell me the rules... not the whys.

dukes

Reaction score
Hello again, I think I have learned enough to draw the complete bathroom roughin now (thanks to all your help). I gave up worrying about flat vents in the wall behind the toilet and moved the vent to another wall. I think this may be what solsacre was suggesting. I am learning and appreciate all your comments. My new drawing is a little too big to post directly. Please examine it at http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roughpl1xv6.jpg
and "fire away". Bill (Dukes)

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dukes... sounds like you're getting your plumbing education about like I did... never went to a class and never had a job working with a plumber... just experience and a zillion trips to the hardware store, Lowe's and home depot. Oh yeah, I did buy a code book and have done lots of studying and reading. I was able to get my license and am much happier now as a plumber (with a better income!) than as a biologist. Mainly I just love the freedom of self-employment... but the lack of financial security is scarey.

BTW.. nice drawings... what program are you using?

Last edited:

dukes

Reaction score
Thanks, hj , I hadn't even thought of that. I was concerned about using the adaptors from the 2 to 3 inch. I "assume" it is OK to go bigger in the direction of flow, but I didn't know. The one case where I went from 3 to 2 for the possibly unecessary toilet vent was particularly worrisome. The 13 inch dimension on the drawing should have been 18 inches. That is the wall to the side of the toilet now, not the back.
Thanks, Randyj for the encouraging words. I love to learn, and I am really persistent (stubborn?) I was in business twice (electronics), once sucessfully, and once a disaster. Unfortuanately the disaster was the last time 12 years ago. I am finding the physical and mental work of building this addition addition (1000 sq. ft.) very satisfying. I am using the original Visio drawing program which came out about 15 years ago. It is very obsolete, but so am I. I spend more time converting the files from its format to jpg than actually drawing. Thanks again guys, Bill (Dukes)

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
it's a drain, not a flat vent

bill

Unless I am seeing things, it looks like what you have been calling a vent up till now is actually a sink drain, and wet vent for the toilet. That changes things. The discussion above is not on target.

In the attic, if you use 3", you will get more real venting in the 2" vents down below. Air is not compressible. Just like water. Except when you put a lot of energy into compressing it, which is not what happens in a vent.

david

dukes

Reaction score
David, Thanks for the comment. The previous discussions were applicable, as I changed walls for the toilet venting. Previously the vent was dedicated to the toilet only. When I changed walls and laid out the sink and shower I created a wet vent without realizing it until hj pointed it out. On the attic vent are you suggesting I adapt the two 2 inch vents to 3 inch and exit the roof as a 3 inch? Thanks again, Bill, (Dukes)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks