Experts, how is this rough plumbing plan?

Users who are viewing this thread

RedBird52

Reaction score
I could make a suggestion on DWV layout for the bathroom, but I need a bit more information than is in the diagram in the OP.

Wayne, thank you so much! The joists are new 2x10s (so really 2x9s...) but I would be willing to re-frame the floor as needed. Or use these things. MY challenge is the area is box'ed in by 6" beams. See photo.
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 9.02.58 PM.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the Toilet vent Im assuming its a verticle dry vent and not run horizontal below flood level of the W/C as it apears to possibly be drawn? that would be prohibited every where I know of

RedBird52

Reaction score
On the Toilet vent Im assuming its a verticle dry vent and not run horizontal below flood level of the W/C as it apears to possibly be drawn?

arg, really appreciate it. you caught another error. The dry WC vent [in red] goes horizontal under the floor, rolled up with a wye. Now that you have identified the issue, I understand/agree what I drew was incorrect. Arg,,,,

Last edited:

RedBird52

Reaction score
run a 2 inch line over to the tub wall arund a ft deep then 90 up with long sweep on top of 90 place a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 san tee with ptrap below floor vent rises up through the floor and then take it wherever you need.

I thought this was on concrete ?

ah, I see what you are saying. I will try and re-draw that. Would the flood-plane of a shower basin (as it relates to a vent) be considered 6" above the bottom of the shower pan?

RedBird52

Reaction score
OK, my latest drawing! Toilet/sink wet-vented. Shower dry vent, with vent being 5 feet from the shower trap. 2" on Shower branch, and then 1.5" vent going vertical into a Wye turned on its back!

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.07.40 AM.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The venting on your last drawing is OK. With a 2" shower trap, you are allowed up to 6' of horizontal pipe run, and at most 2" of total fall, between the trap outlet and the upright wye that is your dry vent takeoff.

But the two 90s in a row is probably not optimal. You have a degree of freedom at the trap by rotating the joint between the u-bend and the outlet elbow (those don't have to be coplanar), so you can take advantage of that. And if you do need to do a parallel offset anyway, use two 45s rather than 90s if at all possible.

Cheers, Wayne

RedBird52

Reaction score
Experts thank you so much for your help so far! @Wayne -- you are awesome. Would love to buy you a beer next time you are on this coast.

Could we talk for a moment about the dangers of using a Sanitary tee With side inlet? I always thought these things were just not kosher. But perhaps I can use this here?

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.28.34 PM.png

My ability to draw in 3-d is poor, but does the image here make sense? Would it be legal?

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.30.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.50.08 AM.png

I think this is a side inlet with "Drainage Pattern". So I *THINK* I'm ok, But experts Please chime in.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never used a side inlet seldom seen used So just something Ive never done or had a need to use and dont see a need here

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks