Rough-in toilet shallowest possible way

Users who are viewing this thread

jbeuoy

Reaction score
I'm installing a new bathroom in basement with a lift station. The top of the inlet on the station is about nine inches below the top of the basin. I'm running a drain from the toilet over to it from about ten feet away. So, I have to plumb the toilet that allows it to be correctly vented and still have it above that depth. I had one constellation in mind, but realize now that it would be too low.

Reach4

Reaction score
Kansas uses IPC, and I think IPC allows 1/8 inch per ft (1.25 or more over 10 ft) drop for 3 inch pipe. UPC requires 1/4 inch per ft (2.5 inches ore more), and that probably makes for better flow if you have the room.

If you have a vented lavatory (bathroom sink), and if that drains into the same pipe, then that probably takes care of the venting.

A 4x3 closet bend may well fit, and allows you to use either an inside or outside 4 inch closet flange. But for maximum shallowness, you would use the 3 inch medium elbow that Terry identified.

Last edited:

jbeuoy

Reaction score
Normally a 3" medium 90 with a 4x3 spigot flange works.
Great, I had thought I'd plumb that over to a tee with the vent coming off the top and then having an elbow to route that to the lift station. But that puts me too deep. Is there a way of working the venting a different way?

jbeuoy

Reaction score
Kansas uses IPC, and I think IPC allows 1/8 inch per ft (1.25 or more over 10 ft) drop for 3 inch pipe. UPC requires 1/4 inch per ft (2.5 inches ore more), and that probably makes for better flow if you have the room.

If you have a vented lavatory (bathroom sink), and if that drains into the same pipe, then that probably takes care of the venting.

A 4x3 closet bend may well fit, and allows you to use either an inside or outside 4 inch closet flange. But for maximum shallowness, you would use the 3 inch medium elbow that Terry identified.
If that lav is down from that toilet, is that a so-called wet vent, and is that okay?

Reach4

Reaction score
You would use a 3x3x2 wye. If I read correctly, the wye does not have to have its wet vent line rolled up, but of course you have to keep the required slope or steeper.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/upc-horizontal-wet-vent-please-help.68221/

If that lav is down from that toilet, is that a so-called wet vent, and is that okay?
I don't know what "down from that toilet" means. Yes, the norm would be to use a wet vent. In IPC, I think your vent above the lavatory santee can be 1.5 inch, but I am thinking UPC says 2 inch. Both want 2 inch below the santee.

jbeuoy

Reaction score
You would use a 3x3x2 wye. If I read correctly, the wye does not have to have its wet vent line rolled up, but of course you have to keep the required slope or steeper.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/upc-horizontal-wet-vent-please-help.68221/

I don't know what "down from that toilet" means. Yes, the norm would be to use a wet vent. In IPC, I think your vent above the lavatory santee can be 1.5 inch, but I am thinking UPC says 2 inch. Both want 2 inch below the santee.
Thanks so much. That makes sense. I'm not a plumber, so communicating what I mean is probably not very clear.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your sewage pit should have a 2 inch real vent.