Rheem 21i40dv Shooting Hot Water From Top

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by suggsy, Jun 8, 2014.

1. suggsy

suggsy New Member

Hello,

I have a Rheem 21i40dv that started shooting water from the top connection last night. We have turned off the gas to the water heater and of course, turned the water heater off to prevent the water from shooting. As you can see from the pictures, I need a new connection it looks like. Or maybe it just need to be cleaned due to the corrosion. Can anyone help me through the process of replacing or cleaning?

20140608_080535.jpg 20140608_080716.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That's bee leaking a long time.
    You need to pinpoint the source of the leak. If it's from the flex connector, replacing that will do. Or it could be from the nipple going into the tank.
    Worst case, it's from the tank.
  3. dj2

dj2 Member

Start with the obvious: replace the galvanized nipple with a water heater nipple of a brass nipple. If still leaking, replace the washer in the copper flex connector, or the connector.