Residential Water Line 1200'

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bwr0827, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bwr0827

bwr0827 New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    South Carolina
    I need to install a 1200' service line from the meter for a new home that we are building. Not much, if any, change in elevation in that distance. I have several questions and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    1) Size and type of pipe? I have installed plenty of PEX inside homes but have never done a service line. 3/4", 1", or larger to reduce friction loss? Obviously don't want to spend more for larger pipe for little or no benefit. I don't anticipate rocky soil, but would the cost for smooth gravel, sand, or sleeving be worthwhile to protect the pipe underground?
    2) Utility has offered a 5/8" meter. Is there any benefit to requesting a 1" meter? I think that would only help with volume, not pressure?
    3) Should I install disconnects every few hundred feet to help locate and repair any future leaks?
  2. DougB

DougB Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Software Developer / Engineer
    Minneapolis - Land of 10,000 taxes
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Water pipe sizing

The link is just a partial chart, and I can't see you using less than 1.5", and maybe 2.0" would be better.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

I might consider 1 1/2" polyethylene because it comes in 500' rolls.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Friction is your enemy here...larger is better.
  7. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Self employed water system tech
    I think Oli Creek makes 2" in 1000' rolls, yep it's gonna be a pain to work with. I would someone who does geo thermal work to fuse on transitions that go from the poly to pipe thread, especially in the trench.