Resaurant Sink Drains, did I screw up? ABS vs Copper

Discussion in 'Plumbing Code Questions' started by SacCity, Mar 27, 2011.

1. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

I went to a restaurant last week and had to rebuild the drain on their bar sink which drains into a floor drain.
    It was 1-1/2" copper with tight 90's and no clean outs. The bartenders keep dropping straws down the drain and clogging them. And there is no easy way to repair.

I rebuilt the drain long sweeps, clean outs etc.... All good but I used ABS pipes.
    Now that I've walked home and am thinking about it I wonder, about half of the restaurants seem to have copper, and the other half ABS.

Just because they use ABS does not mean that it's valid.....

Thanks Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I prefer plastic and ABS for restaurants, at least for in the bar. Copper perforates after a while in those locations.
  3. Plumber1979

Plumber1979 Certified Plumber

should be PVC DWV SYS 15
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote;
    should be PVC DWV SYS 15

SHOULD BE? Why? I have not used a single piece of PVC DWV pipe or fittings in the 40 years I have been in this area, but HAVE installed many commercial and bar sinks using ABS.

Correction. I did use PVC for a laboratory sink drain because they were using chemicals that melted ABS but not PVC.​