replacing Vent pipe in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by davidmmm, Oct 15, 2004.

1. davidmmm

davidmmm New Member

had the house inspected today and the on;y thing holding the closing now for the second time in a month is a Vent Pipe in the kitchen...
    It is a flat roof here in florida now when i go up on the roof the vent pipe has a metal pipe and then a plastic pipe around it with maybe what looks like 1/4 inch between the 2 pipes. He said it should be replaced because the plastic is cracking and is almost below thetop point of the metal pipe.
    Not sure how to fix this? Is there something i can put over it the roof is a rolled roof i guess you can call it???
    it is sealed around the pipe, and not a shingle roof.
    not sure how to handle this sure do not want to call a roofer but if i have to i guess i have no choice.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

lead flashing

On flat roofs, we sometimes use a "lead flashing".
    These can be put down with tar and some flat head nails.
    Roof patch can be bought in gallon cans.
    It could be considered a "handyman" type of job.
    The top of the flashing is bent in so that opening is smaller, thus no water dripping down the side of the vent pipe.