replacing irritrol transformer

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by craniac, Aug 23, 2007.

1. craniac

craniac New Member

My sprinklers didn't come on this Spring, so after replacing a few things I finally put a multimeter on the transformer and it is dead.

Is it hard to swap in a new transformer? My irritrol transformer unplugs from the wall, so no danger of frying myself. Do I have to buy the replacement from irritrol or can I score something from Radio Shack? Thanks for any advice. My crumbling brown lawn thanks you as well.
  2. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Radio Shack may have one, or you can score one cheap on E bay. The things to match is the Voltage, AC/DC it's probably AC, and the VOLT-AMPS or VA or Watts. Also there are many on-line electronic supply store, such as Jameco, or Digikey, All Electronics come to mind.

Rancher
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Most sprinkler systems can run from a 24VAC wall wart rated at 20 VA. That's enough power for two solenoids. (one zone valve and one master valve)
  4. craniac

craniac New Member

Ah, I realized I was using the wrong setting on my multimeter. The Transformer is fine, but no power is going to the stations from the posts when I turn them on. So I will probably just replace the entire box.