Replacing Copper Pipes - Excessive?

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
I had a plumber stop by today to provide a quote for the bathroom remodel. He wants to replace as much of the copper pipes leading to (about 30 ft) and inside the bathroom with Pex that he can access. He says that it is best to do it now while the walls are open and is best to start new. The copper pipes are 60 years old. Is this excessive or even necessary?

Thanks

While I'm at it. I assume I should avoid the plumber who told me pulling permits will add $500 worth of work to the project. Either you do it correctly to code and pass inspection or it should not be done, right?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

DanM

Reaction score
What is whom hiding? The chief chemist at the local water authority described that report as the governmental regulatory numbers for EPA compliance. He sent me the actual numbers that are useful to me for my homebrewing needs. His report and my personal reading are about 7.3pH

Reaction score
I have 65 year old copper pipes in my 1950 home, and we have torn out all sorts of walls. I did not replace them, and in fact, I extended from them with more copper. You know what I like about stuff that lasts for 65 years? Will probably last for another 65 years if I don't fook with it.

I will install PEX for clients because it's so easy with Sharkbites, because it is so easy to recommend and so easy to sell. Afterall, my needs will come before the client, and I like to make money for things like my mortgage. But I will never use PEX in my own home. I have no idea how the plastic will fare up in 50 years from pressure and heat.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is whom hiding? The chief chemist at the local water authority described that report as the governmental regulatory numbers for EPA compliance. He sent me the actual numbers that are useful to me for my homebrewing needs. His report and my personal reading are about 7.3pH
With pH above 7, I would keep the copper.

I found that report high on gloss and not so high on useful info. I did expect that the water department would provide the pH. Similarly they would provide hardness info if asked. However the MO report provided more info, with much less gloss. So why did I post the link to the MO report? Initially I was thinking that was the CT report. It was not until I had pasted the URL and noticed the domain name, that I recognized that was not CT.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Getting a permit insures the job is done correctly. If something is not done correctly you don't have to be the bad guy. The inspector takes all the heat. Ultimately he is working for you to make sure it is done to meet the code. Any competent plumber is not afraid to get an inspection.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I had a plumber stop by today to provide a quote for the bathroom remodel. He wants to replace as much of the copper pipes leading to (about 30 ft) and inside the bathroom with Pex that he can access. He says that it is best to do it now while the walls are open and is best to start new. The copper pipes are 60 years old. Is this excessive or even necessary?

Thanks

While I'm at it. I assume I should avoid the plumber who told me pulling permits will add $500 worth of work to the project. Either you do it correctly to code and pass inspection or it should not be done, right?

Sorry you're not near me so I could recommend someone I know to be honest.

I would RUN, based on both things he told you.

Call another guy. Find somebody good and honest.

Our house was repiped in the '50s, and some of the copper is from the '30s. Never, ever, ever any problems. Our plumbers always marvel at the quality of the work that was done, and the sizing of the pipes. Your "plumber" probably also didn't mention that the PEX crap he plans to install will carry less water than what you have (unless he intentionally upsized it from what is usually used today). Remember, whatever OD copper pipe you have, if you have the same OD PEX, the inner dimension, and thus water carrying ability, will be lower. And if they piped your house with copper in the '50s, there is a good chance that they used larger-diameter copper pipes than would be used today.

DanM

Reaction score
Getting a permit insures the job is done correctly. If something is not done correctly you don't have to be the bad guy. The inspector takes all the heat. Ultimately he is working for you to make sure it is done to meet the code. Any competent plumber is not afraid to get an inspection.

I write into contracts that all work must be done to local code requirements, industry standards, and per manufacture's specifications. Any work that is not in compliance must be corrected at the contractor's expense. You can imagine how many contactors run when they see this.

DanM

Reaction score
With pH above 7, I would keep the copper.

I found that report high on gloss and not so high on useful info. I did expect that the water department would provide the pH. Similarly they would provide hardness info if asked. However the MO report provided more info, with much less gloss. So why did I post the link to the MO report? Initially I was thinking that was the CT report. It was not until I had pasted the URL and noticed the domain name, that I recognized that was not CT.

This information come from the government. Did you expect it to be useful or make sense??

Seriously, it is a report to show what is not in the water, not the lab results. If you want, I can post that data.

Reach4

Reaction score
This information come from the government. Did you expect it to be useful or make sense??

Seriously, it is a report to show what is not in the water, not the lab results. If you want, I can post that data.
It is your pipe. The pH was the important number for that decision IMO.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Copper can last a very long time if the water quality is within certain parameters...or, it can get eaten away very quickly. So, IF the water where you live is known to eat copper, replacing with a plastic one has advantages. Otherwise, I'd probably stick with the copper. Pex can work well, but requires a different mindset, layout, and installation. A direct piece for piece of copper with pex may not work well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks