Replacing a gas heater, braided cold water inlet hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Dawn Marie

Reaction score
I have a "spray leak" coming out of the braided cold water inlet hose uptop of my gas water heater. I see it clearly spraying water out of the hose.. I need to replace it and ive never done this before. Please help with instructions on how to replace the hose. I can't seem to find anything online just for this issue. I only find instructions on how to replace the main copper waterline or the water heater itself. Please tell me i don't have to turn off the gas and drain the water heater just to replace the hose? There is a water shut off valve to the hose. The water heater is out on the back porch...not in a basement...Help please! Thank you :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Turn down the gas at the valve to vacation. That keeps the pilot on so that you won't need to relight.
Turn off the water to the water heater. You can open up a hot only tap inside to drain down the hot side.

for a water heater, I prefer a corrugated supply line, not braided.

Loosely thread the water supply line on one side, and then taking the end of the flex in your hand, guide it down to the nipple on the tank. Thread up the tank side, and then go back and snug up the wall side.
I like 24" connectors.

water_heater_2174.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks