Replace bathroom sink drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Zoman

Reaction score
Hello,
I am replacing my bathroom vanity. After removing the old vanity I replaced the shutoff valves and while removing the p trap found the drain pipe coming from the wall was corroded. While taking it apart the drain pipe coming from the wall basically ripped apart. How do I replace this? It appears to be 1 1/2 inch chrome. I'm guessing I'll have to tear out the wall to get to the connection. Thanks

upload_2015-2-19_13-28-33.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Clear out the area at the base of the broken pipe that you see. We hope you will find there is a nut there. If there is, you should be able to unscrew the old stuff and put on a new trap adapter.

Zoman

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll open the wall and hope for a slip nut. I cleaned the pipe off and the copper is in pretty good shape. Would it be ok to cut off a half inch to make it flush then use a shielded fernco connector to attach the new ptrap to avoid opening the wall or if there is no slip nut? Thanks for the help with this!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would be connecting to a piece that could deteriorate inside your coupling and THEN you would finally have to remove it. Do it NOW, and avoid the hassle later. but, by enlarging the photo, it looks like a brass trap tube soldered into a copper stub. Heat the stub, pull the piece out, the go to a hardware store and buy a male brass trap adapter. Slip it on to the copper, solder it to the copper, then slide your new trap in and connect it with the slip nut.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE need a better picture, but the one I am looking at appears to be a COPPER stub with the trap soldered into it. which changes how to remove it and ALSO how to replace it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks