Renovation, Toilet Issues, Any Help Appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

briarb19

Reaction score
Hi All,

First, I apologize but I have very little knowledge when it comes to plumbing. I'm in the middle of attempting to convert a half bath to a full bath with a stand-up shower. We are having issues with the toilet, or really the whole layout. Originally, we wanted to just rotate the toilet to face the door, place the shower in corner adjacent to it, and then move the sink near the door to the right after you enter (see pics below). However, a plumber said the toilet can't be rotated without destroying the joist, and moving the toilet isn't possible without creating a significant drop in the finished basement. I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look and offer any solutions or suggestions for a different layout. Maybe something outside the box, like a different kind of toilet or another way of plumbing?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the toilet would be at least 15" from center to side, and 30" total space.
The rough would be 12" from the back finished wall.
If you are farther away than that, you can still install and just have more space behind the tank. The tank doesn't touch the wall anyway.
If you want to move it 2" closer they do make toilets that will shift back two more inches.

https://terrylove.com/wc/unifit.htm

I'm wondering how you plan to vent the shower trap.

briarb19

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Are you saying the issue is the amount of space around the toilet would not be adequate if it is rotated? If so, are there toilets designed for smaller spaces? Someone else suggested "furring" out the back wall, but I have no idea what that entails.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks