Remove a brick? Or drill holes through the brick?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bassadict69, Oct 12, 2010.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

I am needing to run 2 water lines through my brick wall...should I drill through the brick? Or simply remove a brick and then seal it back up with foam or some other sealant?

Whichever I should do, what is the best way to do it?
  2. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I'd drill with a hammer drill and just make the hole as close to the OD pipe you are drilling.
    Seal up the remainder with a good sealant like Sikkens or Sonnerborn sealant.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Get a hollow core drill bit and you will not "demolish" the other side of the brick when the drill goes through the brick.
  4. Gsalet

Gsalet George the Plumber

Remember you want to allow space around the pipe so that the pipe does not wear out prematurely from the vibrations caused by the water flowing through the it. Code say 2 pipe sizes larger, I would suggest at least a 1/4 inch around the pipe. I would also suggest some sort of sleeve even if it is only a couple wraps of 10 mill tape, then caulk it up with some hi quality silicone.
  5. bassadict69

bassadict69 Member

Thanks guys...