remodeling and want to make a change to my drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

qgsm33

Reaction score
Hi folks - first time poster here...so be gentle :). I'm remodeling a spare bathroom on the 2nd floor. During the tear down phase, I noticed that the wet wall (2x6 studs) runs parallel to the floor joists. Unfortunately, the wet wall studs don't sit on top of a floor joist: the floor joists are about 2' apart, and the wet wall is almost exactly in the center of two parallel floor joists. I.e. the wet wall is just resting on the plywood subfloor.

I'd like to improve that by laying another floor joist in under the wet wall floor plate. The existing floor joists are about 9 1/2" tall...so maybe a 2x8 for this added floor joist. The span is about 10 feet so it's not an unreasonable improvement.

here's my problem: the drain lines for the tub, toilet and vanity run under the wet well (in that order...working towards the vertical drain pipe). the part of the drain line that's 3" (for the toilet and subsequent vanity) are not a problem. They don't take up all the space under the wet wall floor plate. The tub drain however ends up blocking the rest of the space under the wet wall.

I've included a picture that shows this: the tub drain is a 2" line that joins the horizontal drain line via a 3x3x2 wye AFTER the 90 degree coming from the toilet.

I'd like to change the layout so the tub drain line comes into the 3" line along the same axis. I'd like to take the 90 degree elbow coming from the toilet, and change it into a 3x3x3 wye. The wye would run to the toilet, and the "straight thru" portion would continue on to the tub drain. I've heard that the horizontal line running to the tub would have to be a 3" line to avoid any issues.

there are vents near the toilet (3" if I remember correctly). the tub has it's own 2" vent line, as does the vanity.

Am I nuts here? please send any and all comments... Em Bathroom - no tub.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the wet wall studs don't sit on top of a floor joist: the floor joists are about 2' apart, and the wet wall is almost exactly in the center of two parallel floor joists. I.e. the wet wall is just resting on the plywood subfloor.

I'd like to improve that by laying another floor joist in under the wet wall floor plate. The existing floor joists are about 9 1/2" tall...so maybe a 2x8 for this added floor joist.

Why? That wall presumably is not structural. Is there noticeable floor deflection? If the "wet wall" purpose is to carry pipes, wouldn't your new joist interfere with the vertical pipes?

qgsm33

Reaction score
good question. I forgot to mention that I need to cut out a bunch of the plywood subfloor in the bathroom. Some rotting from water damage, but a lot of "moving lines around" and it lets me put in some wiring for the floor below...so I can hang a ceiling fan in the floor below.

So what do you think? Can I do what I want?

qgsm33

Reaction score
sorry, was kinda short with that last response. when I cut a bunch of the subfloor out, the wet wall plate and studs will be resting on the edge of the plywood coming from the next room over...more than a foot from the nearest joist. I'm just not that comfortable with leaving it that way...especially when I can support it with a new joist...

...assuming you folks think what I'm doing is kosher...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the tub vents before enter the wye for the toilet, yes
If the lav has it's own vent yes. The lav vent can be 2", and that winds up wet venting the toilet.

qgsm33

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, much appreciated. Thanks for setting up this extremely useful site...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks