Relocating laundry to 2nd Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Remark37

Reaction score
Hi All,

I think this site is great and I'm sure this has been asked a thousand time by now. However, I did search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I thought I wouldn't have a problem doing this but after research, I'm feeling overwhelmed. I want to move laundry to 2nd floor. I don't have a problem moving water lines, but it is the drain I'm struggling with.

I suppose I think I have a few options.
1. Run all new 2" drain with venting. Or can I tie into other drainage nearby? I assume not.
2. Have washer drain into the laundry sink, would this be easier for some reason? Could this tie into nearby plumbing since it's a sink and not under as much pressure as washer?
3. Run the new drain to the existing washer drain. The existing laundry is on the main floor. Could I run in basement and up to the new 2nd floor laundry?

Lastly, I was going to add a drain in the floor, can I tie that into the same drain or does that have to be separate?

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of info but any feedback would be appreciated. I can do a lot of projects but if this is out of my skill set, I'll hire a plumber.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Go with the "hire a plumber" statement. Just trying to tie into existing drains can create more problems and maybe more difficult. But with any drain system the venting is a biggest concern. If you do it yourself and a backup occurs with or without a floor drain, there could be more damage. I would scope the job out with a plumber and offer to open the walls as needed. This will save a lot of time so all the lumber is doing is drilling holes and installing pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So much depends on what you have in the walls.
Any new washer will need at least a 2" line, and brought in below other fixtures with it's own vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks