Refridgerator suppy valve

Users who are viewing this thread

brewcrew

Reaction score
Refrigerator suppy valve

I am replacing this valve behind the fridge. It's capped now because the valve won't completely shut off. The supply line is 1/2 inch cpvc, and it needs a 1/4 inch to go to the fridge. I don't know how those threads are attached to the cpvc pipe. What should I get?

valve.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may be easiest to work out from the CPVC

I would cut it back and start over. The threads where the shutoff threads down look to be fine threads, not pipe threads.

brewcrew

Reaction score
Thanks. So would I buy the same kind of shutoff valve that I see supplying my sinks and toilets? Does it just glue directly onto to pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The vavle will be part of your NEW plastic box. IT will probably NOT have a CPVC stub like that one does, so you will need an adapter, and since the threads will NOT be tapered, you will also need a lot of TPFE tape.

brewcrew

Reaction score
So I need a NEW plastic box too? Can I get the box/valve kit at my local big-box store?

DougB

Reaction score
The PVC is plastic, the valve is brass. You can't glue brass to plastic. This is why you need an adaptor - 1/2" PVC to 1/2" NPT (national pipe thread).

Cut off the PVC before the coupling. Take that and the valve to a big box store. Get a short length of the PVC, a coupling, FPT adaptor, teflon tape, tube of pipe dope, a valve, primer, and glue for the PVC. PVC cuts with a hack saw, file/sand the cut.

See what kind of valves they have - you may have to get an MPT (Male) / FPT (Female) adaptor.

Last edited:

brewcrew

Reaction score
Thanks for your help folks...I have another question: In the photo below is the new valve and fitting I bought. The fitting is a Lasco 1/2in adapter cpvc fitting 4135005GRMC. The threads seem awful loose. Do I just load the brass threads up with teflon tape and pipe dope and tighten the adapter on?
newvalve.jpg

brewcrew

Reaction score
It does have the rubber gasket inside, it's just the threads not being a tight fit makes me nervous. So if I use plenty of teflon tape and pipe dope and crank it down till the rubber gasket seats good, it shouldn't leak?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That kind of a fitting is just like a hose on an outside hose bib...the thing that seals is the gasket, not the threads which are only there to allow you to tighten it down enough to make the seal on the end of the fitting - IOW, it is NOT designed for any pipe dope or tape, and if you use it, you might make things leak! A tapered pipe thread requires dope or tape to make the seal, this one should not have any, the threads are straight like a screw.

brewcrew

Reaction score
Is there a better fitting that I should use for this application? It seems like that gasket will eventually fail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks