Re-venting issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Armafair

Reaction score
I have recently undertaken a small bathroom enlargement after stealing a closet from an adjoining room and tearing down a wall that held the vanity.

My wife decided she'd like to use the extra space to build a shower where the vanity was, and put a new vanity the other end of the room (where the bath used to be).

The problem I have is this: the old wall that was demo'd (read 'moved') had a vent pipe that now runs from slab floor to ceiling. The vent for the toilet is approximately 7' away from this one. I plan on raising the level of the floor in the area of the shower for the supply pipes (also now sticking out of the floor) and was wondering if I have to redirect the vent pipe or if the distance of 7' from the main vent is adequate for the shower, if I were to do away with the smaller vent altogether. Redirecting would mean a small run of horizontal pipe with a slight slope to get it from its current position--in the middle of the floor--to a nearby wall, approx 3' away.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower must be vented within five feet, 60"
The lav must be vented within 42"

The reason for this is to prevent the traps from siphoning dry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks