Raised flange - what type of seal to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

hsmith46

Reaction score
I am replacing a toilet in our lower level (basement) bath (very small room) which has a concrete subfloor. The flange sits atop the concrete; the top of the flange is approx. 1/2" above the concrete subfloor. There is vinyl tile on top of the concrete. The flange is plastic and has 4" diameter opening at the lip of the flange reducing to 3" an inch or so further down. There is a 90 degree bend about 6" below where it reduces to 3".

Question is what type of seal to use:

1. Wax with plastic funnel
2. Wax without plastic funnel
3. Waxless (ex. Fluidmaster 7500).

After reading numerous posts in forums, I did a test with new toilet of the option 1 with a Fluidmaster#1 just to see how the wax ring formed when compressed. It concerned me when I removed the toilet (did not bolt it down), the wax ring was virtually flat and the plastic funnel was left behind over the flange. (I put masking tape over the flange and toilet to eliminate most cleanup of wax.)

From what I have read on forums, option 2 (wax ring w/ no funnel) seems to be a better idea in this situation. That was probably what the 30-year toilet that was there had before. To my knowledge, it never leaked water and did not notice sewer gas.

Option 3 (waxless) seems that it would work but from what I have read, it is better at solving problems where the flange is recessed, not raised.

Lowering the flange would be virtually impossible since it sits on top of several inches of concrete. The toilet is not completely level on the floor, but the slight rock could be taken care of by a shim. I do not think this is due to the flange since it rocks slights on the floor beside the flange. I am sure the builders did not worry to much about a level floor in the basement, most of it covered with carpet. I am sure that the other 75 houses in our development are the same.

I would welcome any suggestions as I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Fully installing the toilet and having to pull it out would be no fun.

Thanks so much.

Henry

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The important part is can you get the toilet to set all the way down onto the floor or does it rest on the flange?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thing, set the toilet in place without any wax or anything on it. Make sure it sits flat without rocking, expecially that it does NOT sit and rock on the flange. If it rocks because th efloor is not flat (or the toilet isn't), shim it first, install the wax, then set it in place again.

hsmith46

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for your prompt response. Will use the wax-only seal.

Redwood and Jadnashua, as far as I can tell, the slight rocking of the toilet is not because of the flange since it does it on the floor either side of the flange. However, the space between the toilet and flange will be minimal although the old toilet sat there for 30 years w/o problems until the tank broke unexpectedly. The old wax was quite compressed. I suppose we will try it with the wax-only seal and see what happens.

Henry

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the bowl rocks, then shim at the back, pinning the front of the bowl to the floor.

shimming.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks