Question re: repair fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

BigRob_NH

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Good morning folks,

I'm in the process of installing a new vanity top. pulled the old vanity top/sink out and have the new cultured marble top in place. The drain hole, of course, doesn't line up. I need to move it back about an inch. No problem, just use a repair fitting.

I grab one and get ready to cut/install and I see that somebody's already beaten me to it and the existing plumbing has a repair fitting place. With not much pipe to work with i have no alternative but to cut out the old one and replace it. Heck, it's about an inch or so so my hole/tail pipe might just line up.

Here is the issue.

The pipe coming out for the horizontal run from my ptrap is now only about 3/4 of an inch. If I bury this in the repair fitting it's OK but of course my tail pipe doesn't line up straight with the ptrap. If I insert it only about 1/2 an inch, my tail pipe lines up nicely but, of course, the horizontal run from the ptrap is no longer buried in the repair fitting.

I see the following as my options:
1) insert the ptrap the 1/2 inch so that it all lines up. Cement in place.
2) build a whole new ptrap.

Frankly, I'd much rather go for 1) if it will be sufficient. Will a pipe inserted the 1/2 inch into the repair fitting be leak proof and sufficiently strong?

Something tells me that 2) is the way to go but I doubt that, being a novice, I can get the new ptrap assembled and installed so that it fits as perfectly as the existing one.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I'd go for confidence rather than wishful thinking. It won't cost much to redo the p-trap. Anytime fittings are barely holding on, even if cemented would leave me with a fair amount of burden that I am not willing to bear.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Somewhere in the code it says that the pipe shall be fully inserted into the fitting.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Seems like a good rule of them is insert it the same diameter as the male pipe's width. Surely there will be exceptions.

Disregard the above statement ^^^
More I thought about it, I don't know what I was thinking!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A p-trap is a few bucks.
When we replace lavs in bathrooms, we throw away all the old stuff underneath.
It is always a better job with a new trap that lines up.

BigRob_NH

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks.

Ran down to homers and the parts to build a new one cost all of 7 bucks.

Now all I have to do is cut/cement it properly.

Have a great weekend.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Haven't a clue as to what you said, or what you are working with, but the correct way is to take it apart until you find a good spot to join to, and then redo it to there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks