Question on PEX to meter

Users who are viewing this thread

hotwire73

Reaction score
Im looking to invest into the expansion pex tools etc and replace the majority of my plumbing all the way back to the meter. Meter connection is 3/4", estimated run 30 ft to under home. 1, 1" will supply all I can use from the 3/4" correct. If I still dont get the volume I need for home, Im debating having the city upgrade to 1" supply. 2, Ive had 2 of the outside faucets outside break even though they are 12" and last one 18" on the valve. So I need a deeper pitch I guess to not allow any water at all to sit and freeze. This goes into final question, Im in NC, does freeze some but water line codes here ate 18". Meter itself is maybe that deep. My issue with pex to the meter itself is 2 inches are so are inside the box to connect to the meter. It may be 18" deep but that line is not buried to where freeze wont hit it. Can pex handle this, or do I need to run some form of metal pipe the first 6 inches or so and then convert to pex in ground? I dont like this idea mainly due to possible leak issues that would be hard to locate later on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PEX is not damaged by being frozen, but fittings can be. If you haven't found this, suggest you read it http://www.uponorpro.com/~/media/Extranet/Files/plumbing literature/PipeSizing_IS_P736_0314.aspx?sc_lang=en&version=030520140332

They allow higher velocity flow through their tubing than most others...most of them suggest a maximum of 5fps for hot and 8fps for cold...Uphonor allows 8/12, probably because of the expansion fittings don't produce as much turbulence as the fluid flows past. If you can conveniently run the pipe deeper, the deeper you are from the frost line, the better (within reason), both in the summer and winter.

PEX IS damaged by UV, so if it could be exposed, that could be a problem as to where you end up using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

hotwire73

Reaction score
TY, again my main concern is no matter how deep you put this pipe 2 inches or so is going to be exposed inside the meter box itself. For you guys that have done pex for awhile, do you run a metal fitting from the box, or run pex right up to meter itself.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the PEX will freeze the meter would ALSO freeze and apparently that has not happened. I, personally, ALWAYS run about 3' of copper at both ends of a plastic line to make the connections to the meter and house piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks