Pump options for shallow well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Now you are talking. Knowhow and the right equipment for the job makes a lot of difference. If I were having a problem I would call Boycedrilling. I'll bet you even have elevators. :)

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I do. It wears my arms out to screw hoisting plugs in and out of the drop pipe. And if you've ever had the lifting plug unscrew while you were tightening the joint at ground level, you change too.

I also use the tekmark internal casing elevator on steel well casing. No welding ears on steel casing for me.

Any thing that makes the job easier, safer,and faster, I'm all for.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replaced a 2 hp sub pump yesterday. Set 380 feet deep on 1 1/4" schedule 120 PVC. 45 minutes to pull, the same to install the new pump. That's also why I charge by the foot and not by the hour.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah, I do. It wears my arms out to screw hoisting plugs in and out of the drop pipe. And if you've ever had the lifting plug unscrew while you were tightening the joint at ground level, you change too.

Yeah the worst is when the bell up top didn't look like it came unscrewed but was just holding by one thread. When you lift the string and pull the plate, the whole thing would go south in a New York minute. It is also amazing how that wire unspooling and flying down the hole would try to grab you, a pipe wrench, or anything laying around and take it down the hole as well.

But you also have to watch the helper when laying down pipe with an elevator. If he didn't make sure the closing plate was on top, it would drop that end of the pipe on top of the operator (me). Fired several helpers for that over the years after a second or third chance. Luckily I never got injured like that but I did have to clean out my undies several times. Wish I had a nickel for every time I had to tell my helper to spin that pipe the other way.

BJ oil field elevators and slips are the safest. But if you bounce that string on those slips they would fly up and open, and those were not shallow wells to be fishing in. Takes all day to run a string 1400' before you even touch the fish.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah I have a friend that had a piece of 8" or 10" column, tube & shaft fall on him. It was doubtful for a year or so whether he would ever be able to come back to work. I much prefer the oil field elevators. I have them for bottleneck drill pipe and for a 1600 ft string of 2 3/8" upset tubing I use for cementing. Elevators aren't idiot proof either. I'm breaking in a new helper. That's one of the first things I teach, is proper direction of elevators.

Most domestic wells, I use the Baker L shaped elevator. They're rated for 6-8000 lbs load which is enough to for most domestic work. I use the Baker clamp in conjunction with their elevator.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks