Pump blowing pressure switches, Help me please..

Users who are viewing this thread

sdoucette

Reaction score
I have an outdoor well that feeds my irrigations and a few outdoor spigots. The problem i am having is recently i've blown 3 pressure switches in a matter of a couple of months. I'm under the impression this is due to over cycleling. Unfortunately when I replace the switch i run the pump and the system and it seems to be fine, until the next morning i wake up and the switch is fried again. I have a few thoughts and would like some opinions on them: By the way i have a jet pump shallow well with a very small pressure tank

1) the check valve between the pump and the well is gone.
2) the pressure tank is too small or bad (pressure is consistant). worked fine for 7 years.
3) leak somewhere in the irrigation - would have to be small since I don't see any loss in pressure when watching the gauge
4) pump is no able to keep the pressure about 40psi while running causing the switch to kick on even though already running (is this even possible)

Before I replace the switch again, buy a bigger tank, replace the check valve and solenoids on the irrigation valves, I would like to know what you folks think. I have the ability to do most if not all of this myself, I just don't know where to start.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You may want to make sure your tank is not water logged. Does it have a bladder ?

You can check the voltage and current, to see if it is a voltage drop.

The Motor Switching Contacts should last longer than that.

If the motor is drawing the correct amount of Current at the correct voltage, Then it should not be a electrical problem. Unless a loose connection.

What is going bad on the Pressure switch ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Cycling on and off is the biggest killer of pressure switches and everything else in a pump system. Some people think the "pump is working fine" when it is cycling on and off every few minutes. The pump cycling on and off while you are running a spigot is most likely the problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
4) pump is no able to keep the pressure about 40psi while running causing the switch to kick on even though already running (is this even possible)

Please elaborate on that. Do you have the type of switch with low pressure cutoff? That type could cause an interruption in electricity while the pump is running and the pressure is low.

Put an ammeter on the line and see how much current is being drawn. High current will burn up the contacts. High current could also trip the thermal protection in the motor.

If the pump is on a 120V circuit, consider rewiring it for 240V.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks