ptrap is lower than drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

hahns

Reaction score
This may be an easy one, I don't know anything about plumbing.
I replaced a counter top that had top mounted sinks with a newer "solid surface" composite counter top with the sinks mounted from beneath. The new counter top is a little thinner than the old one and the under mount sinks make the plumbing even lower. I cut off the old pipes and purchased a 1.5" to 1.25 " adapter. I was hoping the new p-trap would magically line up but no such luck. Now the hole for the stopper is in line with the drain pipe and the p trap is maybe 2-3 inches lower. In the picture it looks like I could simply cut off some of the grey pipe on the strainer drain, but it wouldn't give enough room to line up. Any ideas?
Thanks for any helpful input you can offer.

By the way, this is a double sink counter top and the pictures show both sinks.

Attachments

• IMG_1571[1].jpg
    IMG_1571[1].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4,933
  • IMG_1573[1].jpg
    IMG_1573[1].jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 4,048

Jim Mills

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular pop up drain assembly, but there's a chance you could get one that is slightly shorter, (and solid brass) and cut the tailpiece as short as possible, and make it work. If not, you'll have to open up the wall & lower the san tee.

PS. Don't let anyone tell you that you can reverse the trap & make it work.

hahns

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I'll try looking to see if they make a smaller drain assembly, that's a good idea. If not I was even thinking of building a overhang frame that the Counter could sit on that sits on top of the vanity beneath the counter top - raising the whole thing up to a more manageable height. But that sounds really ugly doesn't it.

Gary, Why is this not a configuration for a p-trap? Is there something I should be using instead? Again I have no clue when it comes to plumbing so forgive my ignorance.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's a little weird since the pictures are sideways. I have to turn my head to the left to see it correctly, right? Now that I do that, it doesn't look as awful as it did at first.

You should be able to get that to fit.

Since you know nothing about plumbing but are DOING plumbing, here are two sources that may help you to get it right (page 3 of the first one is all about p-traps):

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/documentcenter/view/103
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Jim said above, you need a brass “bathroom sink pop up drain assembly” and get rid of the existing black plastic ones you have. The metal pop up drain assembly takes up less space. It is hard to tell from your picture but you may be able to cut off the tail pieces you have, but maybe not.

http://homeimprovement.lovetoknow-SCAM.com/image/129917~sink-trap.jpg
http://www.wayfair.com/Plumb-Craft-Aqua-Plumb-Pop-Up-Bathroom-Sink-Drain-877100-PCX1003.html

Jim Mills

Reaction score
I've never understood how the inlet side of those low inlet traps are suppose to work. The tail piece just barely goes in & feels like it could easily be knocked off, but it might work. It may get in the way of the horizontal rod of the pop up assembly which presents another problem. At least on the one sink.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've never understood how the inlet side of those low inlet traps are suppose to work. The tail piece just barely goes in & feels like it could easily be knocked off, but it might work. It may get in the way of the horizontal rod of the pop up assembly which presents another problem. At least on the one sink.

They may need to put a street 45 at the wall to swing off to the side and then use the trap swivel to pick up the drain.
The drains are two low, and normally you would try to lower the drain in the wall. Sometimes you can use the lo-inlet though and get by.

j_bend_low_inlet_installed.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've never understood how the inlet side of those low inlet traps are suppose to work.

It works EXACTLY the way a conventional "P" trap does when it is reversed, meaning that it is barely holding together and will separate if bumped hard.

Angelikamariae

Reaction score
They may need to put a street 45 at the wall to swing off to the side and then use the trap swivel to pick up the drain.
The drains are two low, and normally you would try to lower the drain in the wall. Sometimes you can use the lo-inlet though and get by.

j_bend_low_inlet_installed.jpg
Hi Terry
I have the same situation, my ptrap is lower than the waste line it was left. My basement is under construction, so I can go with the option of making lower the waste line behind the drywall. The question what is the minimun height a waste line cound be?? It is currently a bit less of 20in from the floor to the center of the pipe and the gap to the p trap is about 8cm. Is there something in the code that tells you the minimal high?? Or I can just go and fit it as needed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks