Properly venting a new powder room?

Users who are viewing this thread

spranz98

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to get some advice on proper venting for a new half bathroom. I am not speaking about exhaust fan venting, but installing fresh air/vent stack venting.

The new half bathroom is being built within an old porch footprint. Above the porch is a balcony and the porch is on top of a concrete slab over a basement. The issue is how to properly vent the bathroom since going through the existing interior/exterior walls is not an option as the home was built in 1927 and all the walls are plaster. The vent pipe also cannot go up through the balcony. Every plumber that comes out has a difference in opinion...some mention studor vents which I would prefer not to use as I have heard some not so great stories about them and others seem to propose ways to cut corners. This is a permitted space so it will have to pass inspection at some point. One option is to run the vent through the new interior wall that the toilet/sink will be against and out the new side exterior wall then up the side of the home and end it above the roof line. This would expose the PVC vent pipe to the outside almost like how a radon pipe would be installed. Is this something that would be acceptable? I have read online issues with freezing, but none of these plumbers seem to be worried about that. I am starting to worry that people are just feeding me options to get the job but that no one is really confident in how to vent this properly. Surely there has to be a way to vent the plumbing for a new powder room in an old home?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Seattle I could go outside the wall, inside the wall, or use a Studor vent, as long as I had other venting through the roof. That's pretty much the case with old homes. They already have vents other places.

So the plumbers there are giving you options that work. Now "you" get to choose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks