Proper fitting question

Users who are viewing this thread

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Considering there's no wall available between the drain and the stack going down to the basement, how is it possible to vent in this scenario? Consider a drain that goes down to the basement 3 feet away, but is in the middle of a room, how can you vent this?

What you have to do is raise the vent as high as you can above the horizontal plane of the drain and go to the nearest wall possible and come up at your 6" above your fixture. Code in Ontario prefers that you raise the vent immediatly, where ever possible

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 302

exeunt

Reaction score
What you have to do is raise the vent as high as you can above the horizontal plane of the drain and go to the nearest wall possible and come up at your 6" above your fixture. Code in Ontario prefers that you raise the vent immediatly, where ever possible

Thanks for taking the time to draw the diagram. That's effectively what I plan on doing, which unforutnately means a few feet of horizontal (but sloped) venting before it gets to the vertical at the nearest wall and up towards venting. The inspector issuing my permit basically told me they don't review plumbing diagrams, they'll tell me if its wrong during the plumbing rough-in inspection. Great :)

mjsmith0

Reaction score
I'm just a DIY'r but ran into a similar problem. Would this solution work for you? It's a longer route to the main drain and you need enough vertical room for the added slope, but at least there is no flat venting.

Attachments

• alt_drain.jpg
    alt_drain.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 422

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mass will let you flat vent but we are IPC and it cant be done. A lot of guys try rolling the wye and then going horizontal but even that won't fly with most inspectors.

exeunt

Reaction score
I'm just a DIY'r but ran into a similar problem. Would this solution work for you? It's a longer route to the main drain and you need enough vertical room for the added slope, but at least there is no flat venting.

That might in fact be the way I need to go.. That's a good idea.. Vertical may not be a problem for me since it seems that when they built my house, they built the ceiling in the washroom below an extra 6" lower, giving me more room :) Considering the inspector won't even tell me its wrong until I've already done it, maybe this is the best way to go. Seems silly that I need to make the piping go in circles to be within code, almost looks like i could install one of those swirlly straws in the loop for effect :)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That might in fact be the way I need to go.. That's a good idea.. Vertical may not be a problem for me since it seems that when they built my house, they built the ceiling in the washroom below an extra 6" lower, giving me more room :) Considering the inspector won't even tell me its wrong until I've already done it, maybe this is the best way to go. Seems silly that I need to make the piping go in circles to be within code, almost looks like i could install one of those swirlly straws in the loop for effect :)
Are you planning on making the waste water dizzy before it goes to the main stack?? Why would you want to add extra changes in direction for your waste water? Better chances for blockages to happen

You could do what you want, its your house, but my suggestion will pass any Ontario juresdiction.The best direction from point A to point B is usually in a straight line

exeunt

Reaction score
Looks like I have some thinking to do. Not being a plumber myself I don't know what would pass code. Some people have said that if it goes horizontal below the flood line that would be against code. Since I'm not actually attaching it to the 3" line on the 2nd floor any more, I may do as mjsmith suggested, by taking it over to the wall, then making a 45 degree turn towards the curb and then down to the basement. That would prevent extra turns, as well as prevent a horizontal vent line below the flood line.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Are you planning on making the waste water dizzy before it goes to the main stack?? Why would you want to add extra changes in direction for your waste water? Better chances for blockages to happen

You could do what you want, its your house, but my suggestion will pass any Ontario juresdiction.The best direction from point A to point B is usually in a straight line

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Just make sure that the pipe you run does not exceed 20Ft from the p-trap to the main stack, otherwise you will have to install cleanouts at 20ft intervals

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks