Problems with water coming out of air gap

Users who are viewing this thread

Claudia Kemper

Reaction score
New kitchen was installed in June. Everything was working fine until a few days ago when the drain water from dishwasher started coming out of air gap. Already checked the line between air gap and disposal, including air gap itself and barbed nipple attached to disposal, it was all clear. Than thought it must be the kink in the black 7/8 hose connecting the air gap to disposal. This kink comes from the location of air gap (left of sink) in relation to the inlet to the garbage disposal (on the right). I replaced the kinked draining hose and instead of attaching it to disposal let it drain into a bucket during a dishwasher cycle. Water still was coming out of the air gap. Took out air gap and let the dishwasher hose drain directly into the sink drain for the remainder of the cycle.
Any ideas on what could cause the water to come out of the air gap? Can an air gap break, it looks like a pretty simple contraption to me?

Follow up question: Is it possible to install some kind of elbow piece to not make it so hard on the black hose to do its job and prevent it from needing to get bend in order to connect air gap on left to disposal on right of sink?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture might help picture your situation. There may be something caught in the hose from the air gap to the disposer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some air gaps are better than others. I use Dearborn.
You can use fitting on the 7/8" hose if needed from the air gap. I sometimes make them out of copper fittings. You don't want any restriction.

air_gap_dearborn.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks