Problem with Washer and Dryer Installation in Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

James17

Reaction score
Hi there, just stumbled upon this forum and have already found some great information which has helped with my project. This is my first post and it is regarding an installation of a washer/dryer and sink i am currently attempting in my basement. Everything was going fine until I started roughing in the plumbing. I have attached some photos to better explain the problem.

Basically I am trying to hook up a sink and washer box. I was hooking up to the stack which services my kitchen on the main floor directly above the laundry room. However when I ran the ABS lines off the stack for the sink and washer box and following the gravity rule of 1/4" inch per foot I end up too high and the traps are way over 18" off the ground.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
James Bryson
jamesbryson17@hotmail.com

IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since you have a sink above, and you have connected to the waste line, you will now need to vent the lower fixtures.
The washer and the sink will each need a vent.

The washer and the sink need a 2" waste line. You have only a 1-1/2".
Remove the pipe from the cast iron hub and run new 2" line from there. That will also lower it some. If it doesn't lower it enough, you may need to cut the pipe lower above the floor, or cut into the concrete and start there.

A little hint.
Water runs down hill.
There is no such thing as too high in plumbing. You do whatever it takes to make sure it drains "down hill".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The things that are obvious in the photos;
1. the sink drain is installed with a LOT more than 1/4" per foot slope
2. you connected your sink to the upstairs sink drain without a vent
3. You have a 1 1/2" line which is too small for the washer's trap/drain
4. You CANNOT run the washer drain past the sink drain without a proper vent.

James17

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your responses. They are much appreciated. I had an idea that I required a vent and that the pipe should be 2' as opposed to 1.5". The 1.5" ABS stack had already been added before I moved in and I am unsure how to go about changing it to a 2". I believe this line runs all the way out the roof as a vent. With respect to the vent, would I run another line to the existing stack to vent?

I am starting to think that this setup I have envisioned is not possible without a lot of changes to the existing plumbing. Instead I am thinking about just setting up a laundry tup and draining the washer into that. Would that be possible or would I still have to change to 2"? Would I be able to install 2" and run that to the 1.5" stack?

Thanks again

James Bryson
jamesbryson17@hotmail.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks