Price Pfister faucet conversion

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by BrianL, Oct 30, 2007.

1. BrianL

BrianL New Member

OK, bought a PF 01.801 tub and shower 3 valve diverter. Oops, in the mean time decided to junk the tub and go for a shower. Can I remove the diverter valve and put a plug in that hole and the tub filler hole? ie - convert this body into a shower-only body?

I'm asking because I bought it on sale, ~2 years ago and doubt I can return it now.

THanks!!

--Brian

Attached Files:

• tub1.jpg
      tub1.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    • tub2.jpg
      tub2.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You should use a pressure balanced shower valve.

These old style valves haven't been legal in new construction for years.
  3. BrianL

BrianL New Member

Darn, does that mean these should be thrown out? I dont know exactly what a pressure balanced shower valve is, but this 15 year old house certainly does not have one, and i have had no issues with the shower.

Short of buying new, can I just plug off those open holes? It is brand new, and bought just a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

--Brian
  4. fill it full of Silicone and see what happens

Yes ....just get a big wad of silicone and fill that
    center hole up with it,,, that should hold er ...

Just kidding.....

Throw that Price Fister faucet away....

its no good to you....

get a Delta pressure balanced one
    and cut your losses
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  5. BrianL

BrianL New Member

Thank you guys for your responses, I really do appreciate it.

I guess my hesitation is that I have this same setup (although used it with a tub/shower) in another home (bought 3 sets at the same time), and it works great. Can I put in a plug? I have a shower-only version and it has a hole in the bottom of the valve body that would go to a tub filler, and it just has a brass plug in it.

Thanks again, I hope I am not coming across as a pain, just hate to throw away something that seems like it should work.

--Brian
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You can plug the outlet to the tub, but I have never seen a plug to plug the stem. It is not any kind of thread for which you would find a plug. You could have a maching shop make one.

The best advice is already given....use a single handle. There are trim plates available to cover up the extra holes in the wall if necessary.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

National code requires all shower valves to be anti-scald. The most common ones are pressure balanced valves. This will adjust the flow if, say, someone flushes a toilet. IT will prevent you from getting a super hot flash of hot water that could cause an accident. If the job is being inspected, the inspector will fail it and you'll have to replace it anyways. The only other type of valve that is allowable is a temperature controlled valve that may have some of the same features, but adds the ability to adjust the temp and then maintain it regardless of what happens (except of course, running out of hot!). It could be an issue when you try to sell the house as well if you don't have one to current code.
  8. BrianL

BrianL New Member

OK, OK, OK. You've convinced me. I just thought it was odd that this same setup has never been an issue (too hot of water, change in pressure, etc). Maybe because I have a pressure regulator on the incoming water line from the main?

I will go get the delta 1700 like everyone else and live happily ever after!

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your time.

--Brian
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the house has adequate pressure and volume and the pipe sizing is done well, you may not notice a change in flow rates when something else is turned on. This is a precaution, sort of like an airbag. You may or may not ever need it, but it can help prevent injury if it is there.