power source to toilet shut-off valve

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Richard61, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Richard61

Richard61 New Member

I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread.

I have a problem and I've been told its a unique problem, was wondering if I could get some help.

Plumbing from the main water source to the toilet bowl shut off valve is galvanized pipe and I haven't been able to find a shut off valve that will completely seal to the galvanized pipe. I went to the hardware store and bought shut off valves and solder would not seal to the shut off valve and galvanized pipe.

Is this a unique problem? I have done several plumbing jobs in my home before and never run into this problem. The solder will not adhere to the shut off valves and pipe.

Please help. I have two toilets in the house with the same problem.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Galvanized pipe is threaded (male) and requires a threaded (female) valve. You can not sweat galvanized pipe nor will a compression fitting work. Use Teflon tape on the threads.
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Kudos to Gary... :cool: