Popup drain leaked on first test

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Elijahwww, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Elijahwww

Elijahwww New Member

I installed a set of Danze faucets in my new bathroom vanity, but the metal drain is leaking on both sinks. It is leaking from either the tailpipe where it is threaded into drain collar or from the collar itself, I can not tell.
    The collar came with rubber washer on top and bottom, so i did not use silicone or putty.
    For the tailpipe I used about a foot of teflon tape.
    The picture below doesn't show the top rubber gasket that goes under the flange, but the unit came with it.

What did I do wrong?

http://www.danze.com/file.aspx?DocumentId=299

Attached Files:

2. ImOld

ImOld New Member

I don't see anything about
    in the instructions.

Is that a good enough hint for you? :)
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you used that much tape, I don't know how you even got the thread to start much less tighten up.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Some plumbers putty on the threads before you tighten the tailpiece should do the trick.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Either pipe dope or plumbers putting on the threads of the drain collar. None on the rubber donut below the sink.
    The tail piece either gets pipe dope or a little tape.

I have never seen instructions with faucets mention this, but it keeps us employed.
  6. Elijahwww

Elijahwww New Member

Thank you all. I will try the putty next.

HJ, the threads had that much slack, that I made 3 rounds of tape and i could still thread it with relative ease.
  7. Elijahwww

Elijahwww New Member

That worked, plus more putty on the drain collar threads, where-about the bottom rubber washer is. It wasnt keeping the seal otherwise.
    Is there a safe torque spec for the lock nut? I was afraid of cracking the sink or bending the flange.
  8. Elijahwww

Elijahwww New Member

Still no leaks, thanks everyone

Attached Files: