Pop Up Sprinkler issue

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by ascotinmpls, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ascotinmpls

ascotinmpls New Member

Hi all - I'm new around here, and looking for some advice.

I noticed a couple of my pop-up sprinklers were broken - the heads were cracked at the side, but they were still popped up and water coming out.

Because of the cracks, I decided to replace the sprinkler, rather than risk the pressure breaking them open and having a couple of fountains in my yard.

Anyway, with the new pop-up sprinklers installed, when i turn the water on, they pop up, but no water comes out.

Any ideas? I've replaced sprinklers before without issues, but this is the first time i have replaced pop-ups so wondering if i did something wrong.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Odds are that dirt has gotten into the new heads and is blocking the filters. Unscrew the spray head right at the top of the riser (the part that comes up out of the sprinkler body), take out the white plastic filter (may need to use a needlenose pliers), rinse out. Run that zone for a minute or so with the spray head off, to flush dirt out of the line. Put the spray head back on and should work.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pop up

Some have a volume control screw and it may be closed completely.
  4. MadCoco

MadCoco New Member

Newbie here and found this forum by researching the same problem. Something took out one of our sprinkler heads on the corner of our lot and after being away, came home last night to a nice hole and a bubbling stream running down the road. Landscapers came by and put a new one in today but didn't have access to check the flow. Turned sprinklers on tonight to test it. It popped up with no water running out. Tried the adjustment screw but no go. Started to turn head and it popped out. It was plugged.Simple and quick DIY fix. Filter came right out. Cleaned it. Let it run and good as new. Would have probably called the landscapers back out tomorrow again to fix it if not for finding this. Thanks. :)
  5. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

You're welcome - glad it worked out for you!