Plumber's putty - not on granite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
My sink faucet escutcheon has been a source for a minor water leak into the cabinet below. It's hard to keep from splashing water around the faucet base. I lifted the faucet and discovered there's no putty... no wonder it leaks! I checked the manufacturer's instructions for my faucet (Kohler) and it says to apply putty under the escutcheon plate according to the putty manufacturer's instructions.

I grabbed my container of putty (Oatey's brand), but the instructions say not to apply on marble, granite or other dimensional stone. My counter top is granite.

What's recommended for this application?

[EDIT: I just found a couple of threads on this topic and from what I gather, Silcone is NOT recommended either, because it will make future remove near impossible without damaging my counter. I will look for some Sta Put Ultra, as recommended by Redwood unless you have other suggestions.]

Last edited:

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
There are puttys out there that dont stain surfaces. Manufacturers recommendations....

Some faucets have a rubber base to them in between the faucet and the sink. They are included with the original stuff. That could be a way to go as well.

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
There are puttys out there that dont stain surfaces. Manufacturers recommendations....

Some faucets have a rubber base to them in between the faucet and the sink. They are included with the original stuff. That could be a way to go as well.
My faucet escutcheon has a gray hard plastic base which doesn't form any kind of a seal. As noted in other threads here, Kohler's instructions require putty... but they don't address what to do about stone surfaces.

I spent more than an hour calling all the hardware stores today... none carry anything other than standard oil-based putty. Ferguson, our only pro supply, was already closed for the day. Hopefully they sell something appropriate.

Fortunately, the wife didn't ask me to put everything back together this evening, only to tear it down again tomorrow ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is non-staining putty.
You can get this at at a plumbing supply.
Not any of the big box stores.

staput-ultra.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks