Please review my DWV layout

Users who are viewing this thread

bjohns

Reaction score
First I want to say thanks for all the helpful information I have found on this site in the past few weeks. I am a Carpenter by trade, and we are building a new house, and I plan on doing the plumbing. I have moved a little plumbing before in a bathroom remodel, but this will be my first under a slab, so I would like some opinions on my layout. This is for the Bathroom, house located in Central Arkansas. I just have the pipe stuck together in order to take a picture and have extra length on each piece for final fitment. Vents will tie together in the attic and exit as a 3". Also, is there a minimum height that the risers need to be on the commode and shower drain? I plan on using a 4"x3" closet bend for the commode, I just havent gotten it yet.

plumbing front.jpgplumbing back.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea, that's fine. If that's 3" that the lav dumps into it can be 2" or if you're IPC, 1-1/2" and it still wet vents the toilet. The shower vent can be 1-1/2" also.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If that's 3" that the lav dumps into it can be 2" or if you're IPC, 1-1/2"

I am not sure about the IPC "anything goes" code, but under the UPC he would need vents through the roof that equal the AREA of the incoming sewer so it that and the tub vents are the only ones he WOULD need a 3" vent because there is no combination of two smaller vents that would equal the area of a 3" main line.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPC requires one vent through the roof that is 1/2 the diameter of the building main so 3" main = 1-1/2" vent although it needs to be increased to 3" at the roof penetration.

bjohns

Reaction score
I plan on leaving the 3" vent there and would tie the 2" or 1.5" (if sufficent) from the bath to it in the attic. I don't think I can get "too much" vent.

bjohns

Reaction score
What are you going to do for a clean-out?

I had considered running 3" pipe on straight, where is reduces down to 2" for the shower about another 8 feet to outside the house, that way I could rod the main line. However, I'm not sure if that is acceptable or correct.

My next option would be to put a Wye pointing upward between the Wye for the Commode branch and the 3" to 2" reducer, which would come above the floor inside a closet, mostly covered by a perpendicular wall where I could make a little access, but i'm not entirely sure.

Any suggestions?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
By code ou need one at the base of each stack so put a dandy on both the lav drain and shower vent

bjohns

Reaction score
actual progress

I have actually begun working on this. Does it look ok overall? Also, I bought 3/4" type K copper, and the guy at the supply house recommending sleeving it in 1" poly tubing, which I like, because the poly is tuff stuff. He said to put the copper in the poly and then bend it. Any thought or tips on this?

pic 1, is facing upstream toward the bathroom (shower drain not done yet)
pic 2 is 180 degrees the opposite direction toward the other side of my house
pic 3 is where my branch will connect for the kitchen sink
pic 4 is where my branch will connect for the washing machine
pic 5 is where it exits the house

web 1.jpgweb 2.jpgweb 3.jpgweb 4.jpgweb 5.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks good but don't forget to x brave and properly bed and backfill or sags will develop when the floor is poured.

mahuska

Reaction score
URC says waste stack vent size must be equal to waste stack [3109.3]

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What the hell is the URC. Oh yea universal residential code. Anyhow, I believe Arkansas is IPC but at any rate we ain't talking about waste stack venting here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks