Please help. I need to fix my toilet flush.

Users who are viewing this thread

skuba

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a little problem in the apartment I rent and I can't find the solution anywhere. Have been to home depot, talked to folks there and they don't know how to solve it.

I was going to install a t-pipe to put a spray, but the hose from shut off valve to toilet tank was really old and it broke. I went looking for a replacement and bought a hose with a 1/2" adaptor. I actually got one of those packages that come with an 1/2" iron pipe adaptor and a 1/2"OD compression adaptor.

But none will fit! One is too big and the other 2 small. The shut off valve adaptor is a 1/2", but it seems to be an old system. Where the nut is actually attached to the hose, it won't come out.

Some people suggested replacing the entire shut off valve with one with a 3/8" adaptor, but I am trying to fix this without having to aks the landlord to shut the water supply for the building.

When I talk about this 1/2" old school adaptor, do any of you know what I am talking about, and know what I need to do for a hose to fit without leaks?

Please see image attached. You can see the 2 adaptor and the original hose.

Sorry that I can't explain it better.

Thanks so much

Attachments

• adaptors.jpg
    adaptors.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 315

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How about a picture of the valve. There are a couple of models of valve that came with integrated hoses...if the hose breaks, you need to replace the valve.

skuba

Reaction score
This is the only pic I have on hand now. The hose was removable. The nut was attached to the hose, but it was removable from the valve.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 4.39.01 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 4.39.01 PM.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 270

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If 1/2" IP is too big and 1/2" comp is too small, then you need the adapter at a specialty plumbing store for that inbetween size. It's been so long, I forget what it's called.
I had to use the adapters on an old Seattle apartment building.

Or bit the bullet, and replace the shutoff.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would just replace the valve rather than play around with it.

Another thing is that since you state that you rent the apartment you should secure the landlords permission before doing any plumbing alterations to your rented apartment. The landlord may specify that any work be performed by a licensed plumber if they want or, even deny permission.

Based on your statement it sounds like you are installing a "Personal Hygiene Spray Device" similar to the picture below, which by code requires a backflow prevention device to avoid possible contamination of the water supply. These devices often are not supplied with the required backflow prevention device and are illegal as supplied.

illegal bidet wand.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should never work on plumbing or electrical systems, structural repairs, or interior repairs in a rental home without the express OK from the landlord. You screw up something and cause a flood, fire, or some other problem, and you could be held financially responsible for fixing the damages. If it was your own house or if you get permission, then the backflow preventer and a new valve would be the way to proceed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks